Become a Therapy Dog Volunteer
Are you interested in becoming a Therapy Dog volunteer?
We are always looking for individuals who wish to provide health care-oriented volunteer service within their community using their dog to assist.
Therapy dog volunteers must be:
- 18 years of age or older
- Physically and mentally capable of performing the activities that are reasonable for the type of service they may be providing
- Willing to complete an application process and a criminal record check
- Successfully participate in an evaluation
- Able to provide up-to-date veterinarian documents indicating that all required vacinations are current.
Dogs must be:
- Accepting of a friendly stranger
- Sit calmly for petting
- Walk on a loose leash
- Walk through a crowd (including wheelchairs)
- Sit on command/staying in place
- React well to another dog or to distractions (noise, jogger, etc).
Volunteers and their dogs are generally expected to provide regular visits in order to develop a bond with their designated patients.
If this is of interest to you, please fill out the form below and make sure to fill out “Therapy Dog Volunteer” in the “Area of Interest” field.