General and/or OFA First Aid Instructor
Who We Are
St. John Ambulance, British Columbia & Yukon (SJA BCY) is a not for profit ‘mission-led enterprise’ committed to empowering safer communities through first aid leadership. SJA BCY is part of the federated St. John Ambulance organization in Canada, which is represented from coast to coast. We are privileged to be part of an organization with over 900 years of service to humanity. Today, SJA BCY is a market leader in the development and delivery of first aid courses, first aid products and we support first aid in communities through our 1500 plus volunteers.
Our British Columbia and Yukon headquarters is seeking a qualified General and/or OFA First Aid Instructor to work on a contract basis.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Instruct General/OFA First Aid Courses on a weekly rotational basis – schedule to be determined in consultation with the respective branch;
- Instruct other WorkSafeBC and St. John Ambulance Courses, as required;
- Evaluate St. John Ambulance OFA 2/3 exams
- Promote the sale of St. John Ambulance training courses and products;
- Travel to other areas to instruct courses;
- Maintain and clean first aid classrooms, equipment, and supplies; and
- Conduct mall displays/tradeshows, as required.
Qualifications and Skills
- High school diploma;
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to create a comfortable environment where people can learn and feel relaxed enough to ask questions;
- Confident in speaking to groups of people and demonstrating first aid skills and protocols;
- Professional image with excellent instructing and marketing and sales skills;
- Comfortable in using a computer (for example, PowerPoint) for course delivery and other related administrative tasks;
- Ability to travel out of town on short notice; and
- Ability to work independently and on occasional weekend/evening.
Candidates should also meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Minimum 1 year experience as a First Aid Attendant (professional or volunteer) with a current Standard First Aid (or higher) certification;
- Licensed Paramedic or First Responder (e.g. EMR, PCP, FR) with 1 year of clinical experience; or
- National Lifesaving (NLS) certificate holder who has been certified for a minimum of 1 year.
Why Join SJA BCY?
- Competitive compensation package and a commitment to creating a growth environment for everyone on our team;
- An opportunity to work in a historic and impactful organization that saves people’s lives.
SJA BCY is a welcoming and collaborative organization. We welcome diversity in our organization and qualified applicants of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply.
If you or someone you know is interested in this position, please email a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.